19 October 2012

J is For Just Do IT!



Anticipation of the Writers Conference in Orlando, Florida this weekend inspires this post. The Florida Writers Association is organizing the event and I am super excited about attending. It was an extraordinary learning experience last year and well worth the cost. I am sure to absorb loads of material with which to share when I return. If you are unable to attend, please consider attending the TWA conference next May in Tallahassee, Florida.

Why the title "J is For Just Do It"? Because J was the next letter. Seriously, because that is the message I want you to take away after reading this post.

Two years ago, I made the decision to do something about my desire to write on a more serious level. Sure, I had written stories throughout the past 10 years, but I had never considered sharing my interest. I called it an interest because many years ago, that is exactly what it was. Today, that is not the case anymore. My writing has more meaning to me. It has been a base from which I have grown and developed a sense of identity and this growth has helped me discover things important in my life.

Writing seems to have an emotionally soothing appeal for me. My husband calls it self-medication. Whatever it is, wherever it may take you, if you love to write, don't let anyone stop you. It will bring meaning to your life and it will gain you an insight into the world around you, which you might otherwise miss.

Just do it. Write your future!



Visit my Alphabet Links:
A - B - C - D - E - F - G - H - I - J - K - L - M - N - - P - Q - R - S - T - U - V - W - X - Y - Z

19 comments:

  1. Totally agree. It took me awhile to admit how important writing is to me. I didn't consciously make the decision to turn writing into more than just a hobby. It was more like when I was looking at my career goals, writing was the only thing I had any passion for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I tell my children. Do what you enjoy as a career and it'll never feel like work. :)

      Delete
  2. Writing journals helped me get through the teen years. Have fun at the conference Diane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Diane. No one else will take you seriously as a writer if you don't take yourself seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think writing is more than a hobby: it's a way of life. We writers devote so much time to our craft that it becomes a huge part of who we are. Failure to nurture that part, to ignore it and leave it by the curb, it's a waste. You're absolutely right! If you love it, do it. If you don't, you're losing out on something wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This way of life reminds me if it weren't for my husband urging me to participate in life, I would forever live in my mind and in stories. Great addition, Randi,

      Delete
  5. My close friend Norma is the one who got me to go for it. I'd thought of writing seriously as something for the future, but she coaxed me into it.

    Have fun at the conference!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Annette and William! I will definitely take notes at the conference. Sharing is caring! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your energy, Diane. Have a great time learning and growing in your craft. See you when you return. J is for Jenny ;>)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. I am! It is so inspiring to be around so many writers at one time. :D

      Delete
  9. Great inspiration! Looking forward to hearing about the conference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to know, Jen! It's amazing how much even a one hour lecture can get your thoughts going again.

      Delete
  10. This makes two years running now that I've let the FWA conference slide by without attending. One of these years, I'm going to make the effort to get out there and take part. I've heard nothing but good things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. J.W. it's a great time! There is so much reinforcement and building of knowledge in craft going on at these conferences. It's amazing.

      If you're near Tallahassee, the TWA is holding their conference in May of 2013. The first year I attended, they had James Scott Bell as a speaker in the morning and afternoon sessions. Last year they had Steve Barry as a celebrity guest. It's where I get all of my signed books by well-known authors..."Yes, please sign it, to my good friend, Diane...thank you, sir."

      :D

      Delete

I welcome feedback, so please leave your thoughts.

Contact Diane

Name

Email *

Message *