14 October 2012

Other Worldly Blog Chain

This month's prompt: 
Otherworldly at Absolute Write

Ghouls, ghosts and things that go bump in the night. Old Hallows Eve, Dia de los Muertos and Halloween. October is the month where the veil between our world and the other things. Therefore, this month is about those things beyond our world, be they scary, funny or anything in between. Write wherever the prompt inspires you, fiction or non-fiction, prose or poetry. Do try to keep things at a PG-13 level, though.

My Otherworldly Weirdness!


Who Art Thou?

"Who's there?" I insist.

The danger looms.

"I am that from which you have escaped many times," the low, raspy voice insists.

"Who are you?"

"I'm not here to harm you, only to help."

The kind sentiment puts me at ease. "You must know my dilemma." I ponder this aloud, attempting to unravel the mystery behind such a gracious offer of support.

The voice continues after a brief chuckle, "Ah, but you see, your dilemma is no mystery to me. By your escaping me, consistently and with much success, I can guess with relative surety what torments you. Your persistence, your tenacity, and your insistence in continuing escapades throughout my lands gives me a very clear picture of who I'm dealing with."

I wonder how I might respond to this interlude. I expect it to be brief. I will make an attempt to flee after I satiate my curiosity.

The dark figure, now looming over me, reaches out and lifts my chin. Red eyes glow brighter than rubies and burn into mine. They unleash a fire into my core, singeing my heart, and encasing its outer layer in a hard, blackened crust.

I feel hot tears fall down my cheeks, yet the curiosity lurks.

The figure speaks a final sentiment before it fades away, "Let your hardened heart heal on the inside. In time, you will understand my purpose in your life. For now, know that I am.


If you enjoyed this theme, please visit the other participants:


pyrosama:  (YOU ARE HERE)
xcomplex:  (post link here)

bmadsen:  (post link here)
bearilou:  (post link here)
CJMichaels:  (post link here)
Damina Rucci:  (post link here)


35 comments:

  1. Very intriguing, a bit ambiguous even. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, talk about a tease. Would read more of this one for sure. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Simon. I love reading all of the different takes on these hops.

      Delete
  3. Very nice!

    I miss the AW blog chains. I had to stop doing them because I was liking the work so much that I wanted to turn around and sell it instead of posting it on my blog. I still use them every now and then, but I keep them to myself. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you're welcome on the hops either way. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you, Kelly. I need to hop on over for your Monday Mishmash! :)

      Delete
  5. What a unique style and a interesting voice. Thanks for sharing your talent Diane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Eve! I appreciate the feedback. The monthly exercises are fun and they keep me writing when I don't feel the urge to do so otherwise.

      Delete
  6. Thanks, Debra. I appreciate the feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know what that thing was but I don't want to run into it while I'm walking alone in the woods!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never know, Deb. It could be a friend in disguise. :D

      Delete
  8. Death doesn't quite take a holiday here...more like Death Gives a Pep Talk : Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I would give to be a protectee of the darkness (in the sense of fiction, of course).

      :)

      Delete
  9. I'm a horror fan so October is like my favorite month. I love stories like this! Great work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's still time to join the fun, Auden! Take the link and sign up. We'd love to have you.

      Delete
  10. Don't watch Blair Witch, then read this and go for a walk in the woods . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blair Witch scared the beejeezies out of me. Especially the very ending! :O

      Delete
  11. A threat from within and without. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the line about the danger looming--really pulled me in right away! Also, the simplicity of this piece lends to the tone of it very well. An excellent bit of work you have here, Diane :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. A very weird piece of fiction. It's amazing how the scene shifts from dangerous to calm to magical. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think darkness can be quite magical when we open our eyes. Glad you enjoy weird, so do I! :)

      Delete
  14. Another well-written piece, Diane, way to go! Given your spooky opening, gulp, am glad I
    ventured in during the day instead of late at night. Keep these engaging reads coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you kidding? Keep the blog hops coming! I can't find a better way to be inspired than by this group. I also think providing links to all the other wonderful stories keep the fun going for readers around the net.

      =)

      Thanks for your feedback too!

      Delete
  15. Oooh so intriguing! Write the whole story! I can't wait. It certainly gave me goose bumps, the good kind. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Alynza. At one point I wanted to become a fantasy writer and this was my style back then. I'm happy you liked. :)

      Delete
  16. Dark and ambiguous. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great job with the prompt. I enjoyed reading it and wish there were more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue. Otherworldly turns out to be a challenge, but fun!

      Delete
  18. I love that we never really know what the Otherworldy entity is. I'd love to read more, to see that curiosity satiated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's her own inner demon. :D

      Thanks for stopping by and your feedback!

      Delete

I welcome feedback, so please leave your thoughts.

Contact Diane

Name

Email *

Message *