30 September 2012

My Top Ten iPhone Apps

Check it out...

I is for iPhone!

Here is my list of top ten applications I use on my iPhone. The priority is listed by how often I use the applications.




This was the first and only mobile application which I helped develop. Of course it's going to be on my top ten list! I was more involved in providing the server side development rather than the GUI, but I guess being on the back end has its benefits.


It looks like Google has updated their satellite images. I was a bit surprised to see my daughter's 2010 white Mustang in our driveway rather than my old 2001 mustard green Ford ZX2 which my son totaled when I had three payments left on it.


This almost came off my list of favorite applications for the iPhone when I purchased the iPad 3 and downloaded Kindle onto it. I use the iPad to read now, but I still love the application's ease of use. Even though I’m keeping it on my list, I’ve moved it in my list of priority apps.


Who doesn't love to look at food, comment on food, and compare food findings, reviews, and popular hangouts? There's nothing like sitting down at a nice restaurant while waiting for your food to arrive. When the server places my entree in front of me, I break out the iPhone, fire up Foodspotting, and snap my photo. Gotta share it with the world, right? Hahah, the annoyance! Okay, I don't use it much, just when I remember I have it on my iPhone and food is placed before me for consumption. It doesn't happen often or I’d be 200 lbs.


This dictionary app is my trusted companion when I'm not at my computer writing. Otherwise, I have easy access to Dictionary.com. This application allows you to search for your word, produces a list from which to choose, and displays your word with an audio option so you can hear the pronunciation of your word. You can also speak your word into the microphone and the application will search for your word.


With this application, you can configure several different locations and get the current weather conditions, an hour by hour reading, or a 10-day forecast. Severe weather alerts can be configured and maps display the current conditions all around you.


Who doesn't like Family Feud? This is the closest simulation I've ever experienced. The only thing missing is the social aspect of the game. You know, the Richard Dawson kisses or the Steve Harvey jokes and funny expressions. Still, the fast money round is addicting. It’s the sound effects when you get points. The top five answers are…on the board!


This application is in the top three because I use it on a daily basis. My husband and I move money around between six different accounts and it comes in so handy. I haven't been inside a bank in a very long time. I haven't been to an ATM machine in years. I can pay bills, transfer money, stop payments, and check my balance at the touch of a screen. How awesome is that?


This application feeds my OCD. It's not an iPhone app, more of a browser driven simulator. I can check the statistics on all of my configured sites. Hourly, daily, monthly, and annual statistics tell me how my sites are operating. I can tell which sites are worth keeping up and which I can ignore. I never ignore the busiest sites. I like to see the numbers climb, but more importantly, I like to see why they climb or why they do not. Statcounter is free, but when you start to reach the 50,000 page load statistic, it's time to make the investment and upgrade.


My OCD has its ups and downs. Up is why I have Statcounter. So, what do I do to bring myself down and focus so that my OCD can be utilized to my best interest? Five Differences is a great tool to use for this. You are presented with two seemingly identical pictures. You have a set amount of time to discover five differences in the two pictures. It takes a great deal of concentration to do this because the pictures must display on the iPhone screen, so they are small. But it is not impossible, more of a challenge.

***

AND NOW (You're probably wondering why I have no pictures to share)

This is why Wells Fargo might become the #1 mobile app on my list. There's nothing like feeling connected to your children, even after they've moved out. 



What applications do you have on your smartphone? Which do you use relentlessly? This is not limited to iPhones and iPads. I’d like to know what’s out there for other smartphones as well. Who knows, I might want to switch when my contract is up!


Visit my Alphabet Links:
A - B - C - D - E - F - G - H - I - J - K - L - M - N - O - P - Q - R - S - T - U - V - W - X - Y - Z

23 comments:

  1. Diane, I hope to get one of those fancy phones so I can get Kindle. Thanks for all the great information. You sound like a genius.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Far from genius, Eve! I just cannot function without certain things in my life, *cough technology*. I would become a dithery mess without it.

      My husband accuses me of self-medicating, and he's probably right. :)

      Delete
    2. your iphone apps collection is amazing.i like iphone technology.thanx for sharing us

      Iphone app developments

      Delete
  2. I'm still a Luddite, Diane. I don't have a cell phone, smart or otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sense an instant addict when it happens. LOL

      Delete
  3. Sadly, I still have an old cell phone with no apps but I would like to get a Kindle someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, when the Kindle comes down in price a bit more, I will hold another story give away contest featuring the Kindle as the main prize. What a way to encourage writing! Thanks for the idea.

      Delete
  4. I can't live without my smartphone. It's a Samsung Galaxy, one of the older Droid models, but it works well for me. It has some built in apps that I use a lot - Camera, Calendar, Weather Bug (I like to look at radar), Daily Briefing (has weather, stock market, and AP stories) plus all my email accounts. I've also found the different hotel apps - Marriott, Hilton, etc - and AAA useful when my husband and I travel. I use the dictionary and the browser, too. Playing Spades and Hearts is restful if I'm waiting anywhere. The screen on my phone is too little to do much reading, but I've used it as a Kindle reader, too.

    My iPad is perfect as a Kindle reader and I can use it to work on my writing projects. I find Dropbox very useful for storing my writing and travel documents since it syncs across all my devices. Thanks for sharing your favorite apps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, I need to get myself familiar with Dropbox! Thank YOU! lol

      Delete
  5. I feel left out. I don't have an iPhone. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't feel left out. You are more productive than I am. Keep doing what you are doing! :)

      I should give up some of these things so I can get back to what I want to be doing, writing.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here are the best mobile apps for iPhone users whom gonna be made to get these fantastic apps. Thanks to mentioned these apps with understable description.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love my iPhone. Don't know how I functioned without it. My favorite app now is Evernote. It helps me organize my story notes. It's awesome. And, I've gotten into this game, CK Zombies- love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like zombies, try Zombie Highway. Warning: it's addicting. :)

      Delete
  9. I've had iPhones since the things came out and I still have...maybe...three optional apps, lol. One of these days I'll get around to using it for more than texting & twitter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband has had his iPhone as long as I've had mine and he still can't figure out how to GET apps on his phone. He's so cute when he's trying to text our daughter because he's got bigger hands and his eyes are going bad. LOL

      I need to hook up the iPad so he can chat on it instead. :D

      Delete
  10. Great list Diane! I have a lot of the same favorite apps on my iPhone, but I'd also include Chase, DISH Remote Access, Instagram and Pinterest. I like to have a lot of different entertainment apps because I do tend to travel a lot for my job at DISH, and they help occupy my time during some flight delays and such. My most favorite out of the bunch is DISH Remote Access. I'm a TV lover, so I use it to keep up with all of my favorite shows, live or recorded, anywhere I go in the world. I'd seriously be lost without my iPhone! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a pinterest account! I think I pinned a few things, but never got into it. I have friends who are addicted to it.

      I'll have to check out DISH.

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What I find amazing about your list is that it covers a wide range of purposes. You have apps for everyday uses (Google Earth and Wells Fargo) and even for entertainment and learning (Family Feud and Friends and Kindle). In my opinion, this is the premise behind developing apps. They exist to make our lives a little bit easier. Thanks for sharing, Diane!

    Kiera Keisler

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to share, Kiera. You're absolutely correct. The reason behind development of apps is the usefulness to our daily functioning. Thanks for your feedback.

      Delete
  13. Some of this list are also my favorite iPhone apps...

    ReplyDelete

I welcome feedback, so please leave your thoughts.

Contact Diane

Name

Email *

Message *