26 September 2012

H is for Humility



hu·mil·i·ty [hyoo-mil-i-tee or, often, yoo-]  
noun: the quality or condition of being humble;  modest opinion or estimate of one's own importance, rank, etc.




There’s something I learned in the past few years which I never would have acknowledged had I not pursued my passion in writing. I also stumbled across "Thank You For Ripping Me Apart" by a fellow blogger which caused me to pause and reflect upon my own writing journey and the humbling experience I’ve grown to respect.

Humility is something you learn through experience. At first, you might have a passion or ambition in reaching a particular goal. It is when you don’t reach your goal, or better yet, when you experience obstacles to your goal, you ultimately understand how small and how insignificant you are. These obstacles are huge blows to our egos.

It is the humbling experience which makes us stronger though, makes us put forth those extra steps in order to avoid the same failures in the future. We seek to improve upon our initial naivety. How else will we be ready to lead future generations of those hoping to reach our defined goals of the past? How do you keep the standards in place for generations to come? I believe it is in teaching humility and discouraging ego.

Learning to write fiction has been my path to finding humility. It made me question my ambitions, question my road to success. When that happened, my path changed.

What do you think? Is experiencing humility an important part of learning and achieving?




Visit my Alphabet Links:
A - B - C - D - E - F - G - H - I - J - K - L - M - N - O - P - Q - R - S - T - U - V - W - X - Y - Z

15 comments:

  1. I think you're 100% right about this Diane. I often wonder if there are certain degrees of humility and how much farther down that painful road I have to go.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me, three. Humility is a great teacher and an ever better trait to have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If humility was such a great teacher, I would be genius!

    Very nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely! It might be the best teacher in some cases.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you all agree! I guess the journey of the writer has some common themes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Writing often makes one feel humility. It's not an easy business to be in for people that think they're better than everyone else, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Vicki! We struggle enough as it is with the idea of not being good enough. It's what makes me strive to be better.

      Delete
  7. I took a writing workshop that beat me into humility, and it was critical to have before publishing. I accept criticism and negative comments so much better now. Ego's great for getting the novel finished, but humility is needed for revising and sharing it with the world :)

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to develop a bit of an ego so I can finish mine, Lauren! lol

      Delete
  8. Excellent point. The only way I can grow as a writer is by allowing others to show me my flaws. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We talked a bit about how we learn in my writer's group last night. We meet the last Wednesday of each month at Barnes & Noble, drink some coffee, and do our round table. It's a lot of fun and I learn so much.

      Delete
  9. Absolutely. When you take away humility all you have left is hubris. By being humble you open your mind and your heart to so many possibilities to learn and grow. I think all of us should be, at least, a little humble...just a smidge :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. But isn't it interesting, and a seeming contradiction, to acknowledge that we are humble?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I think there is a difference between being humble and having a sense of humility. I am not a humble person. I feel a sense of accomplishment when I achieve my goals, but I also realize the great risks I took to do so. Some of the risks include road blocks which tasked my soul, exposed my weaknesses, thereby making me more competent and ready to move on. We continue to grow, yet we continue to teach by sharing our own experiences.

      Do I know humility? Yes. Am I humble? No. :)

      Delete

I welcome feedback, so please leave your thoughts.

Contact Diane

Name

Email *

Message *