12 April 2015

K is for Kindness

I chose this word because whenever I look out into the world these days, the only acts of kindness I see are in hidden videos or on the news where someone became an instant hero because of their willingness to help a homeless person with food and warm clothing. Kindness can be contagious, because you see these videos and newsworthy stories and it makes you warm inside and your eyes well up.

Yes, recognition for your kindness feels good I'm sure, but that's not what being kind is all about. It's about selflessness and doing for someone other than yourself and not expecting any form of recognition for your good deed, only the warm feeling inside knowing that someone benefited from your act of kindness.

I like a quote I read the other day and I forget who owns it, but it was something like, "If the entire world were blind, how impressive would you be?"

Then I had to ask myself, "When was the last time I did something kind for another person just because I can?" Can you remember for yourself? It's not like I run into homeless people every day, or trust that guy on the side of the road holding up a sign indicating he's had a rough time and God bless you if you could provide some help. Are you more likely to think he needs to get a job?

Have you ever helped a stranger just because it didn't even occur to you not to do so? I'd rather feel warm inside.






My List
Aging (and Apples)
Barnacle
Creativity
Destiny 
Ego 
Forgiveness 
Grace
Haters
IHOP 
Jealousy 
Kindness  - You are HERE
Lesbian 
Magnanimous 
Nostalgia
Oxymoron 
Pizza 
Questions 
Resource 
Serendipity 
Technology 
Undergraduate
Virgin 
Writing
XXX 
Yoga 


Smiley faceIf you enjoyed this article and would like to receive future articles in your inbox --- Subscribe to our free newsletter

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome feedback, so please leave your thoughts.

Contact Diane

Name

Email *

Message *