17 March 2013

Another Picture Story With Oil Paintings


Tim and I visited the Cummer Museum of Art & Gardens last weekend while on a short getaway hiatus. Sometimes you have to break from the humdrum of coming up with new material and just let it come naturally. So please excuse my latest digression with my Xtranormal hack last week. Though it came about naturally, it was a bit gratuitous.


I now present to you the beauty I found in Jacksonville Beach. I will comment briefly on each piece of art and why I liked it. Forgive me, but I did not document the artists' names for each of these. Some are from the same era, others you will know they were created by the same artist.

Here we go!

These are oils on canvas, which garners a great deal of respect being I used to paint with oils. The artists here depict so much in their paintings, it's impossible for me to get it right, not having been part of the different eras. But, doesn't it look like the women and the animals are doing all the work? What's up with the two men relaxing and enjoying this leisurely ride? Get off your asses and do something. Holy crap.


This is a lovely picture below. Is it vanity? I guess if she were in the presence of others, this might be considered a bit off color. Wait, this reminds me of the present day. Yes, she looks like every other person in a restaurant obsessing over their phones.


Seriously, I immediately felt like the painting was of a prostitute because back in these days, I wouldn't think that hookers would be out on the street. They would be hidden away like this, in their rooms, waiting on the gentlemen to come calling. Is this not your impression?

The portrait below haunts me for some reason. Tim says it's her eyes. I'm convinced it's the flowers. It's like she's barely holding onto them, and they're wilted. She's happy, but sad. Freaky combination, but it works.



The ladies in the painting below are not prostitutes. They are wealthy women.

But, how do you know this, Diane?

Because poor women would be at home cooking dinner for the family, and prostitutes are hidden upstairs in pink, frilly garments.


Another prostitute? I'm not hung up on ladies of the night, it's just that women are depicted differently in social situations or when there's work to be done, in which case their breasts are exposed (go look at that first painting again if you don't recall).

When alone, they appear sad and reflective. I'm starting to develop a theme here and it's not the type of theme I'm liking.


This girl ain't having that. Just look at the expression on her face. Doesn't it look like she's seeing the same theme? Is she trying to tell me something here? Is that little girl tired of doing all the work while her little brother runs off to the streets to play stick-ball or to the river to fish? Indeed!


Well, I hope you enjoyed these pieces of art as much as I did. Whatever story they tell, it would be different each time. Try it, I think you will have fun. Start with the first painting. What's going on in that picture? Then with each picture that follows, what do you see?

The title of this picture story? Admit First, Liberate Second.

12 comments:

  1. I must admit I am not an art aficianado by any means, but love to look at paintings, see which ones capture my attention and then wonder why ... of all the others I have seen, this particular one speaks to me.

    I think I would have picked up on the same theme - I love moments where women/ men are alone and not being watched. Because that is where the truth in their expression lies.

    Love these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed. It is an emotional journey for me when I peruse an art gallery.

      Delete
  2. Very nice! I'm a museum junkie myself, though it sometimes annoys my girlfriend. She works at one, and would thus not like to spend most of her weekends in them. :P

    Speaking of which, she actually interviewed for a position at Cummer years ago, though ended up not taking it. And I grew up in Jacksonville, but never ended up visiting Cummer while I lived there. I'd like to one of these days, when I get back up to those parts.

    Awesome pics though, and a hell of story you drew from them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll enjoy if you visit. It's huge! There was also a gardenia exhibit going on there and so I was able to shoot some awesome floral displays.

      Was happy to share these.

      Delete
  3. Pictures do evoke different stories for everyone, and I love that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! My husband had a complete different take on these than I did. :D

      Delete
  4. The lady in pink, I had the same impression... prostitute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woot! See, it's intuition. You didn't have to be there.

      :)

      Delete
  5. My favorite is the sad eyed lady with the wilted flowers and she's wearing white--so pure and innocent but just jilted by her lover. Maybe next time sweet cheeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sharing this with Tim, because he didn't quite put his finger on it. Innocent and jilted are very strong adjectives that may do it for him. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. Those are gorgeous. I especially like the piano scene. Gosh, I have to get out to an art museum some time. Thanks, Diane. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to share. If you get a chance to visit Jacksonville Beach, that's one I would highly recommend. What I posted was only a fraction of what they have out there.

      Delete

I welcome feedback, so please leave your thoughts.

Contact Diane

Name

Email *

Message *