11 March 2012

Review of Yesterday and Tomorrow by Candice Adams

Yesterday and tomorrow by Candice Adams

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I was bored, so I picked this up at the flea market. I'm not much of a romance reader, especially the more modern romances. But, this one was published in 1986, so I was like "Okay".

It didn't really do much for me and it's not an amazing story, but it was a quick read (a total of 2 hours). The only minor things I have to complain about is the verbiage used in writing it. I'm particularly not happy to read certain phrases that make me cringe, but in this book, those were sparse enough.

"His lips danced over hers with white-hot intensity" didn't really work as a visceral response and the visual of lips dancing is distracting in my opinion.

I won't linger much on the verbiage, but this one last sentence that sort of turned me off:

"Putting her hand on the door-handle, she opened the door."

Well of course she did! She wouldn't change her mind and decide to open the door with her foot, would she? Seriously, I don't appreciate reading the same words in close proximity of one another, let alone two! Granted, "hand" is not the same as "door-handle", but still, it was a bit jarring.

Aside from getting bored at times, this wasn't as bad a read as I thought it would be. Much better and more believable than one of the more "modern" romances I attempted to read. That's right, attempted (I couldn't get passed the 2nd chapter without calling BS). This one, at least, kept me reading until the end.



View all my reviews

11 comments:

  1. Oh dear, better keep you off my beta list. LOL
    Great post Diane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Eve. You can't tell that I'm not a fan of romance? But, I'm trying to find one that I like. :D

      I liked this one fine, but I get a little picky when the guy in the story doesn't make me melt right away.

      Delete
  2. I suppose the older ones are a bit better than some of the modern romances. I agree with you about the "hand" and door-handle issue; that is annoying. Sometimes editors of any genre should watch out for those little mistakes. Things that are clear and then pointed out to the reader, tends to treat the reader as if they are 'stupid'. Not a good thing! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Lena, it's those little nuances that are more irritating than anything. I often wonder about how things slip through the cracks like that. Sometimes I think I would make a ruthless editor, then I find a glaring mistake in something I wrote. :)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. This reminds me of the kind of books I'd see my mom reading when I was growing up. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The older ones don't have all that graphic sex, so they have to dedicate more to the actual story. Well, in my opinion!

      I've promised myself I will pick up another modern day romance and maybe, just maybe I will be surprised!

      Delete
  4. Psst. Because I enjoy your blog, I'm tagging you to participate in the Lucky 7 Meme! If you're not familiar with it, you can check out the entry on my blog for more info:

    http://www.authoralden.com/2012/03/gadzooks-ive-been-tagged-lucky-7.html

    I know I'm blindsiding you, so if you're unable to participate for whatever reason, that's okay! Just enjoy a few extra hits on your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like fun! I'll try and pull something together today. :)

      Delete
  5. I'm not a fan of romance novels. My grandmother used to read them and if she came across anything risque she'd automatically throw the book in the garbage even if she was on chapter two. My mother collected the rejects and donated them to the library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :)

      Deb, when I found one that was risque (as a teenager, that meant touching of the thigh), that book found its way onto the "to be read again" pile. lol

      Delete

I welcome feedback, so please leave your thoughts.

Contact Diane

Name

Email *

Message *