24 March 2012

Creating Character Emotions - Desire

From Dictionary.com - desire   [dih-zahyuhr]  

1. to wish or long for; crave; want.
2. to express a wish to obtain; ask for; request.

A Man's Love

The girl's legs were long and tan. Her skin glowed from the contrast of her orange neon bikini. Her laugh was audible above the crashing waves and when the man lifted her into the air and away from the foamy water encroaching onto the sand, she squealed with delight and the wind gently passed it along to the squawking sea gull hovering above.

They would be married, the girl and the man. He would adore her and she would idolize him. Her tan legs would spread one day to accept him and then they would spread again when she birthed their first child.

She would bounce their toddler in her lap and her husband would proudly snap photos of them both, laughing and carrying on. A love to be had by a fortunate few.

"It's time to change the bandages, Katie." A girl’s mother walks over to the window and closes the curtain, but not before seeing the lovely couple below, frolicking on the beach.

"Who will ever want me, mom?"

A mother kneels beside the wheelchair and embraces her double amputee daughter. "A great man, Katie. You're going to find a really great man."

If you enjoyed this, please visit the emotion of apathy.


11 comments:

  1. Wow, that's strong stuff and yes I feel the word desire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Eve! We have a dead bunnies theme coming up in April and it made me think of the pink bunny slippers. lol

      Delete
  2. Well done! I wasn't expecting the ending but it adds to the "desire" really well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was being a little tricky with it, saving the reveal to the last. Thank you, Kelly!

      Delete
  3. You amaze me with the impact of your stories in such a short amount of words! Also, I don't know if you have it already, but I am giving you Liebster award. Come over and get it, if you want!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you Lara! I think I received an award or two before, but I didn't understand how they worked, but since seeing a few in action, I'll be right over to get it! :D

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks, these challenges are supposed to get more difficult. I think a lot of people hear/see the word desire and the first thing that comes to mind is love and romance. :)

      Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

      Delete
  5. Nice story! I agree, great emotions and amazing ending! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lena. I appreciate your kind words. Everyone, have a great week! It's Monday. :)

      Delete
  6. I'm sorry it took me a while to check this out- work has been a little zany, lately. Anyway, I love this! The imagery is spot on without being overdone. I love the emotion- very moving. Thanks for the good read!

    -R

    ReplyDelete

I welcome feedback, so please leave your thoughts.

Contact Diane

Name

Email *

Message *