19 April 2012

Show AND Tell With a Photograph

You've heard that advice "show don't tell" too many times and so have I. I post the difference between the two in show vs.tell. It's a simple reminder of how much more fun reading and writing can be when we take the time to walk our readers through a story rather than just tell them about it.

Well, I have another story to share and it's keeping with this same philosophy, but I like to be able to tell this particular story in an effort to enhance what I want to show. Then I think you will appreciate the photograph I'm sharing with you.

I had an opportunity to photograph a wedding a couple weekends ago. It was for a friend. She insisted on paying me for the job, but I refused payment. The reason being, if I don't charge you, then I won't feel the pressure. It didn't work, but the reward of finding out I could actually do it was enough payment for me. I don't think I would have ever been able to commit to such a project a year ago.

Anyway, the story!

After the wedding ceremony, of course, we had the family photos to snap. But, my goodness. One little guy didn't want his picture taken. He squirmed and struggled to pull away from his mother, the young bride's new sister-in-law. When the bride noticed the discomfort of the little guy, who now had tears in his eyes, she said to his mother, "No, it's okay. We can do it later. Let him go play."

The little guy's mother let him go. When the group dispersed, the kid ran over to the young bride to give her a kiss. And, that's when I snapped this photograph. Though I told you the very short story, I didn’t have to tell you anything more. You can see it all in the photograph.

I hope you enjoy!



21 comments:

  1. That's so sweet!! And you did such a good job taking those photographs! Showing and not just telling is a tough one for me that I am constantly trying to conquer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job capturing such a sweet moment. The photo is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Nicole and Kelly!

    I was a nervous wreck that day. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. The shot is beautiful. When I first glanced at this post, I figured it was a creative commons license photograph from somewhere, or a greeting card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was at the right place at the right time. They say timing is everything. :)

      Delete
  5. Congratulations. I love that photo and I love the story that goes with it. Thanks Diane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eve. It brought tears to my eyes. :) I guess to be able to capture the moment kind of does that to a person.

      Delete
  6. That is so sweet, and nice of the bride. Great photo! And great post! Yes, showing can be more effective than telling! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely story! Thanks so much for sharing it. Your photo is beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took a total of 490 photographs over an 8 hour period, so I think I have more stories to show and tell, this one was just my favorite. Thanks for stopping by, Lynn! Glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  8. Holy stinking cow... this has to be one of the most touching images I have every seen! Before I started reading your post I caught site of the image and thought, "Wow, she must be referencing some famous photograph." To find out you captured this moment perfectly leaves me in complete awe. I hope this photo DOES bring you fame! You have some serious talent and a great eye for photography-!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, randi. Thank you! It's definitely going in my favorites collection. People keep asking me why I'm a computer programmer instead of a photographer and I'm like, "I have to pay the mortgage!" lol

      Delete
  9. What a strange coincidence - I photographed a frind's wedding last weekend. But I confess, it is not my passion and I turned most of the work over to another friend so the pistures would turn out better. I think you nailed it with the photograph! And with the idea about showing the reader, rther than explaining it all...good advice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it just plain fun though? Editing photos = OCD. No lie! Your friend probably has a bit of it, I know I do. I can sit for hours editing a photo just like I do a chapter of my writing. :D

      Delete
  10. Great photo. You're really brave I used to be a newspaper photographer but I turned down weddings because of the pressure. What if the pictures didn't turn out good? Yours must have turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She knows I'm an amateur and I told her up front. Thats why I didn't charge. But now that I have more confidence I might do it again for a small fee!! :)

      Delete
  11. You truly did "capture the moment" with that great photo! Just as you had to have exactly the right set of circumstances (as well as recognizing them and being able to go "snap!" when it happened), so we need to search for exactly the right words and phrasing to tell our stories. Congrats on your wonderful photo -- you're far braver than I -- and thanks for using it to illustrate "show vs. tell" so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I was able to anticipate and "snap" a photo, Candice, but I had no idea of the beauty until I saw it on my computer. :)

      Delete
  12. That's a beautifully done photograph! Very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I just got feedback from the bride on this photo (it's the only one I sent so far). I was happy that she liked it. Without everyone's feedback here I would have been a nervous wreck.

      Delete

I welcome feedback, so please leave your thoughts.

Contact Diane

Name

Email *

Message *