05 April 2012

April Blog Chain - Dead Bunnies

This month's prompt:  Dead Bunnies - by Absolute Write

Write wherever the prompt inspires you. It can be fiction or non-fiction. So, here's mine: This is totally made up, but I included a link to the real game in case anyone would like to try it out. Everything else, including the name of the city is made up. Invasions do happen on Threshold, but I've seriously customized this so that it will fit within the theme of this month's blog chain. I hope you enjoy!


It is a late night around 1:00 a.m. I can't sleep and it is too late to start drinking beer. I log into Threshold, my favorite text-based online role-playing game.

I am not logged in for long before a spam of text splashes across my screen.

Attention Adventurers! 
INVASION, INVASION, INVASION!!!

A band of monster bunnies has been unleashed into the meadows on the eastern border of Azelroth! Arm yourselves and prepare to defend this great city!!

BOOM!! Explosions everywhere! The Lord Bunny of Demonville has arrived!!! Casualties have been reported!!!

Crap, I just leveled up last time I was logged in

All I want to do is read the boards and find out what's been going on. If I log out suddenly, the Admins will think me a cowardly wimp. If I join the invasion and get killed, well, there goes my newly acquired level AND 1,000,000,229 experience points.

[System message from Admin]What are you waiting for? There's an invasion going on!

Great, they see me logged in. Damnit!

I type in the commands and head to the armory where I purchase the basics for protection (leather boots, leather gloves, simple robe and a cowl). Then I purchase a small dagger. I'm a mage, so I do have magic at my disposal.

I head out into the streets. Dead bunnies, everywhere! Adventurers running about, wielding swords and casting spells scream obscenities. I run passed them and seek shelter in the local tavern. I request a bottle of ale and the barkeep produces it and hands it to me. 

I'll hide in here until the invasion is over. I can stay logged in long enough to where it looks like I participated.

Before I drink the first drop of liquid pleasure, in storms a black, 20-foot monster bunny from hell. Fire blazes from its eyes and smoke streams from its nostrils. Before I can wield my dagger and defend myself, the bunny pelts out a deep, gut thundering roar and swipes at me with its paw, gashing me open. It continues to strike me with its sharp claws and bite me with its pointy, 1-inch teeth. I watch in horror as my hit points tick down by the hundreds. 

A display of ascii art in the form of a skull and crossbones appears before me, an indication I have perished.

So much for dead bunnies!



If you enjoyed this theme, don't forget to visit these other participating blogs. Links will become active when they've posted:


30 comments:

  1. A MUD? Classic! I remember playing those, back in the days when internet was dialup and MMORPGs were way too expensive (actually, I think only one of those things had changed).

    Remember, rabbits are vulnerable to vorpal blades with a bonus of +1 or higher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, you should check it out. Newbie players always have all the fun!

      ;)

      Delete
  2. PERFECT! Loved it--- wtg with putting such a fun spin on the whole dead bunny theme!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it, randi!

      Delete
    2. I have to reply again because I really wanted to re-read this AND I just caught site of the creepy bunny picture. Wowzers did that freak me out!! :-)

      Delete
    3. I think this one will be popular with a lot of gamers. :)

      It makes me so happy that it was worth a second read!

      Delete
  3. That was cool, it even has a surprise ending. I guess if I wrote about dead bunnies I'd write about the Lapin du l'orange they served me in France. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can still sign up! Just take the link to Absolute Write, the sponsors. It's a blast.

      Delete
  4. I was skeptical but you did the pick me up post! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Diane, I gave you an award on my blog. Stop by.
    http://kellyhashway.blogspot.com/2012/04/one-lovely-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. That picture sure changes the image I have of adorable little bunnies. Good spin on this month's prompt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Charity! I had to follow the dark path. :)

      Delete
  7. ha this took me back to my Dissertation. My group did it on the effects of subscription games v traditional games, so part of my 'Research' was joining certain role playing games

    Very nice descriptions and little story. Those damn bunnies from hell!

    Matt (Turndog Millionaire)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! Roleplaying games can become addicting, and as you can see, when you gain levels and experience points, it's really difficult to make decisions. :)

      Delete
  8. Oh, lordie. The image of an evil bunny invasion now imprinted on my brain for this Easter! Haha, great job :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha. I will not be having roasted rabbit for my Easter dinner. Will seek vengeance in some other form :)

      Delete
  9. Ah man. If my minstrel Spamwise Hamgee had been there he would have healed you from the evil vorpal bunnies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, and I could have used the web spell to hold the bunny while you healed me. :D

      Delete
  10. Another engaging gem, Diane! Like where your creative juices took this month's prompt challenge--great idea--cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've enjoyed them all. But this one was my favorite to write because it got me wanting to play my game again. :)

      Delete
  11. I love the picture of the bunny... Cuter than actual bunnies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could say I created the bunny, but I think it is a great Photo-shopped monster bunny. Teehee!

      Delete
  12. Loved it! I like that you took it and transformed it from dead bunnies to 'so much for dead bunnies' haha! Great work :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julz! My much belated thanks for your visit.

      Delete
  13. Haha, great story! Especially appreciated it as someone who was into the whole MMORPG thing until about a year ago. ^__^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only an experienced MMORPG player would understand to this level, so I appreciate your thoughts. :)

      Check out the game too, if you get the chance. The Admin are the bomb-diggity. :D

      Delete

I welcome feedback, so please leave your thoughts.

Contact Diane

Name

Email *

Message *