10 March 2011

Winning, duh

I don't think seeing my work in print is a big deal to me. I would rather have one person really love what I wrote, that one person being me, rather than many who purchased it and thought it was just okay.




I used a publishing tool once to build a PDF of one of my stories: in Times New Roman 12-point font, double-spaced with one-inch margins. I was like, "Cool, looks like the same kind of writing in books I've purchased." Then I thought how awful it must be to have an editing job, hoping that your slush pile readers are sending you something really juicy...only to discover it's another one of THOSE stories! The horror of it all, not only does it read like all others, it LOOKS like a standard manuscript....ARRRRGH! Somebody shoot me, NOW.



All joking aside, it would be nice to become a published author some day, but I have a full-time job and a family that consume almost all of my time. The time and effort required to polish a piece of work for submission would be strenuous, which is the one thing I try to avoid. Even if I did all that work, a rejection would be like throwing salt into an open wound.



That's why I blog instead. I promise I won't create a Charlie Sheen "winning" entry for entertainment. I’ll post a video instead.



WINNING, duh.


2 comments:

  1. Just happen to come across your blog via Critique Circle (your post on a thread regarding quitting writing). Very nice blog! I wouldn't let the full time job and family keep you from one day publishing. I've met some authors who were rejected by every publisher/agent they sent to and ended up self publishing. One of them was eventually signed! Keep up the writing. You have a new follower. Feel free to check out my blog. I too am trying to keep writing either on a manuscript or blog. Cathartic.

    http://forty9andcounting.blogspot.com/

    Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement! It's great to get feedback. I will definitely checkout your blog.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome feedback, so please leave your thoughts.

Contact Diane

Name

Email *

Message *