14 July 2012

Independence and Slavery Blog Chain


The July2012 Blog Chain theme at Absolute Write is Independence and Slavery. I hope you enjoy!

Young Fursious felt his calling to be of greatness and might. He found his heart called into the service of Lord Belphegore, God of Battle, Rage and Fire.

He approached with vigor and arrogance. He fought hard and he was dutiful in his worship to the Lord. But, his loyalty to the faith was not enough for he often found himself faced with failure. This was too much for young Fursious and so he sank into deep depression, turning his back to the Lord. He sought the comfort of complacency and peace so that he might nurture his wounded soul.

Lord Belphegore cast down his fury onto this mortal and demanded that he look deep inside and find his spark to fight these demons who weakened his mind and destroyed his hopes. Sorrow and self-pity were not welcome in Lord Belphegore’s church.

Fursious drew inspiration from Lord Belphegore and found his path once again. He learned fast and discovered his inner strength. 

Sorrow, oh sweet sorrow for myself has been my prison and the shackles of my soul. I will not let it stand in the way of serving my Lord. I shall prove to be worthy. I will unleash the fury that shall set me free from this bondage of self-doubt. I will fight again.


Lord Belphegore welcomed this mortal back into His church, proud as any God would be.

In response, Fursious cried out, “I will not be oppressed by my sorrows!"

And with that goal in mind, Fursious set out to rise above and prove that he can strive and be on top.

Fursious fought honorably, he fought with conviction, and he stayed true to all the ethical standards that were ingrained within his heart and taught from his youth. He fought with all the fury that burned in his soul, and the confidence in knowing that his life was not for nothing.

In the end, he did not have the riches that he’d sought as a young man. But on his death bed, he felt his heart swell. He was finally happy. Tears, not of sorrow, but of glory, flowed down his cheeks.

He had won the battle, for beside his bed were all those he inspired in life and the numbers were great and more than he'd ever imagined.

If you enjoyed this month's theme, please visit the following participants and their posts:

Participants and posts:
pyrosama -  (YOU ARE HERE)
Tomspy77 -  (link to this month's post)
dclary -  (link to this month's post)
ThorHuman -  (link to this month's post)




27 comments:

  1. I like this very much, Diane. It plugs in to my spiritual beliefs that one can commit no greater blasphemy than self-doubt because you're really casting doubt on the great "I AM" or "Lord" or "Universe" or however you name that power. At least, this is how I interpreted the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Jayne! I'm happy you like. :)

      Never give up just because your young heart has failed you. God has other plans for your lifetime.

      Delete
  2. I have been inspired to cast off my shackles of self pity and doubt to write for another day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! :)

      I am always happy to have inspired. Thanks for stopping by and for your feedback.

      Delete
  3. Hehe, it has a little bit of a Robert E. Howard feel, doesn't it? Very sword-and-sandal epic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robert E. Howard eh? Compliment! :D

      I have so many more earlier pieces which are similar. I wish I could share, but I don't dare.

      Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Never heard of that online game, must check it out. Also, many religions believe that sin is to be distant from their deity and you captured that concept perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It came from the heart of one of my characters, so I'm glad you approve! :D

      Delete
  5. The "Lord Belphegore, God of Battle, Rage and Fire" was a bit out of my zone of comfort. That aside, I can't find a fault with the writing. It was a very forceful piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was written from the POV of one of my RPG characters.

      Delete
  6. Dang. Clearly, I need some Belphegore in MY life - he's Vitamin B to cure your ennui! (That is a COOL gameworld you have set up, by the way - every time I get depressed about Kids These Days, it's good to remind myself that there are plenty of real people, youngsters included, who don't need anything more than a MUD client and a keyboard to have fun!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, if you sign up to play, please indicate that Pyrosama referred you! :D

      I'll get credit for the referral. lol

      Delete
  7. How inspiring! I love this one, Diane. Very nicely written. It's powerful, gripping and, as always, unique in that way only you can write. I honestly believe you should market some of your chain posts. They deserve to be shared!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much randi! I've been blessed to have found you guys and the prompts to join the monthly blog chains. They've been so inspiring. Maybe one day we'll all look back at our best and compile some form of anthology. :D

      Delete
  8. Great story! I particularly liked the names of the characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I made up Fursious, but I can't take credit for Belphegore. :D

      Thanks!

      Delete
  9. Very cool piece! I think we can all learn something from Fursious and Belphegore. ;)

    I still haven't got around to trying Threshold out yet. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think you will enjoy the Threshold world. It's beautifully written. :)

      Delete
  10. I’m so very glad you shared this, Diane. Woman, you truly do know how to weave a wonderful tale! I really enjoyed this interesting story. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan! I'm happy you enjoyed, hopefully as much as I enjoyed sharing it. :D

      Delete
  11. Wow. I totally love this piece! The ending, it really warmed my heart :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Can't wait for next month's chain. :)

      Delete
  12. Great story and very true to real life. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Charity. If we go with Fire and Ice next month, I have another Fursious story for you all. :D

      Delete

I welcome feedback, so please leave your thoughts.

Contact Diane

Name

Email *

Message *