29 September 2013

What is Steampunk? - AW Blog Chain

Steampunk and Retro-Futurism are genres that take the aesthetics and technology of the past (the Victorian era, interwar Art Deco era, etc.) and add futuristic technology. Examples include The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Atlantis: The Lost Empire, the Downey Sherlock Holmes films, and (or so I'm told) some wacky Japanese animes like Fullmetal Alchemist, Steamboy, and a bunch of the Miyazakis.


When I sat down to write my entry for Absolute Write's September Blog Chain, my mind went blank. I tell myself I can do this, now that I know the definition of Steampunk.

Come with me
And you'll be
In a world of
Pure imagination

No problem, right?

Wrong!

I can't pretend to be a serious writer of this genre if I can't get my mind off silly things like those contraptions created by Dr. Seuss and similar machines used by Willy Wonka in his chocolate factory. Where's my creative flare? I know what people looked like in the Victorian era. I've seen movies, so combining these elements should be fairly easy.

Remember this?



And this?



I also thought the Everlasting Gobstopper machine was pretty cool. It had noisy steam and a honking "in process" mechanism moving things along. Steampunk? I think so. Others may not be so inclined to agree with me. I am the newbie. Someone straighten me out.

Anyone in for a chocolate river ride on this boat?




After all this nonsense of trying to come up with a clever story for you, I decided to do this topic some justice and share with you an educational video. "What is Steampunk?"

If you are an enthusiast of the Steampunk genre, let us know something about your characters and their contraptions. I would love to learn more.

Enjoy the video!





Please visit these other participants and their posts:

pyrosama   [YOU ARE HERE]

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome feedback, so please leave your thoughts.

Contact Diane

Name

Email *

Message *