04 June 2016

Uber Experience in NOLA

I'm not going to blog about school or work. Today, I'm blogging about a different kind of progress.

This blog post is about my new best friend, Uber.

This is progress because Uber replaces a service (the commercial taxi), which has monopolized travel and, in essence, has impacted entertainment and tourism for so many years. I'm going to eventually share my NOLA vacation, but first I need to share an experience with the Uber phenomenon.

I understand that Uber isn't everywhere, so when we arrived in New Orleans and settled down, being that I'd experienced NOLA four short years prior, I made an executive decision. Uber would be our mode of transportation the duration of our stay. There existed the perfect scenario: the meeting of three couples arriving in three different cars, each wanting to spend time together in the great city of New Orleans, and possibly engaging in the consumption of alcoholic beverages.

I gave consideration to the current state of the economy and called on a local taxi service. They were booked and it would take 45 minutes to get a ride, but then, they'd have to send two cars to pick up six people. The cost estimate? A whopping $50.00.

Screw that! Ridiculous, right? 

So, I contacted Uber, requesting an extra large vehicle to fit all six in my party. My driver arrived in less than eight minutes.  That's not the amazing part. I was able to track his progress toward my destination, including every turn he made and every mile he reached. What, what?! The cost at peak time? Check it out in the photo.





I'm not saying you should use Uber as a means of putting the finger to the current state of affairs in transportation services, but rather, consider it if you really want to get moving and don't want to put up with the bullshit of being shafted by commercial tourism. Trust me, if taxi cab drivers had their own vehicles, they'd be jumping on the Uber bandwagon.

Trust that my group and I witnessed a few middle fingers expressing the International language of love by taxi cab drivers as we entered Uber vehicles. Was this their way of telling us that they disliked our choice of service? Will Uber be the end of commercial services? Is this a formula of people taking care of people?




Smiley faceIf you enjoyed this article and would like to receive future articles in your inbox --- Subscribe to our free newsletter

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome feedback, so please leave your thoughts.

Contact Diane

Name

Email *

Message *